Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pictures of the Cat

I recorded a few songs today--this was one that I threw together based on a fun-sounding riff.  I usually try to stay away from the I iii IV V chord progression, but I felt like the neat riff and the different midsection made up for it. The middle part goes Em A F#m Bm E7 Am F D7--I've been trying to incorporate slightly off-key chords in my songs (done it a few times in some of the ones below), not in a Debussy style, but in an attempt to emulate Marshall Crenshaw type pop.  And maybe the more I move out of a key, the more comfortable I'll be changing keys altogether, which I feel is an important next step toward more interesting composition. 


I'm not sure what the lyrics are about -- just made them up as I went.  I have a tendency to throw in either bizarre or overly mundane ideas in order to make the songs seem meaningful.  Short of slaving away at good lyrics, this seems to be the best way to go at it.  The "not alone" part is a little too much like rock'nroll suicide but hey there's a lot of songs to sound dissimilar to.  Sorry for that prep end.  


I think this song might sound better than a lot because I threw in some drum-sounds ( bashing mouse on table) and did away with background vocals.  I at first thought it might be a good song for backing vocals, but it sounded okay solo, so that's how it stays.  


Here's pictures of the cat! 




No comments:

Post a Comment