Sunday, August 19, 2012

Miners

I was thinking about mining today.  I used to be quite interested in finding neat rocks.  I remember smashing certain rocks with a sledgehammer to harvest the sweet, sweet garnets inside.  Then covetously storing said garnets in a secret box.  I often want to ask people what they would be doing at this point in the summer at age 8-10.  For me, it's smashing rocks to harvest garnets.



I went to the mountain to try and mine gold
But lost my pickaxe on the way
And do you know how much pickaxes cost?
I don't, but I've nothing to pay
So I took a deep breath and I entered the mine,
Hoping to find me a jewel,
But busted up roots were all I could find,
I foolishly felt like a fool
Since things were all wrong,
I hummed by best song,
There's a silver lining
To all this ma-lining
I felt something crawling its way up my arm
A beautiful beetle vermillion
I dropped him off lightly, and picked up a stone
Older than me by the billions
Twas then that I realized the sum of my parts
And this is the point of my story
Down in the depths of a dusty old mine
I silently struck a satori.
And I left without gold and I left without jewels
My mining sack sad and berefted
But on my way home I found my pickaxe
Right in the spot I had left it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment